122. Female Patient Wards 51 & 52
Built 1912 - Demolished 2012
This was part of Group Two and
later housed the mentally retarded patients
The large rooms on the ends were the Dormitories and Day Rooms
There are two Turkey Vultures sitting on the roof, one is on the chimney
This walkway lead to the entrance by the offices
This extension was added on to the main building later on.
The First Floor with the boarded windows was the Sewing Room
The top floor was a Dormitory
Photograph - Kings Park Heritage Museum
Group II Women's Sewing Room
Old floor planes show the basement of this extension as being the Catholic
This wall is part of the room the extends out into the circle and behind it was
the Priests sanctuary
Rev. Mgr. John C. York, whom York Hall was named after, was the Hospital Chaplin
for many years and may have said mass down in the original chapel.
Almost all of the poles seem to have red bumper pads wrapped around them
Later on the Hospital would build a small Church on the edge of the property
near town. The land was then sold and St Joseph's Church was built and the small
wooden one torn down.
On the first floor the three white windows was the patient clothing room and had
a service elevator to the other floors for transporting laundry but was never
put in to service. The single window after that was the small waiting room for the
next group of windows to the right which was the Treatment Room. On the top
floor the three windows were the Visitors Room and the elevator was next to that
and then a small dorm room.
Side entrance to the extension.
The Dorms and Day rooms
The old porches on these buildings had been torn down and redesigned three times
in the life of the structures.
Once in 1957 and then again when the building was reradiated in 1966
The top floor on this side had the Seclusion Rooms, or Observation Rooms today,
showers and bathrooms.
The showers were always separate from the bathrooms as the patients were only
allowed to shower and shave one day a week and that was usually on Visitors Day.
They were not allowed to keep their own bathroom accessories like scissors and
razors and were under constant supervision while shaving and cleaning up.
To the left and right of this entrance were offices and then the showers and
While the end chimneys were for the fire places the middle ones were for air
Side doorway with nice old wood and copper work
Basement storage and utility rooms
Corner basement room 1
Notice the tree is actually growing through the bottom steps of the fire escape
Fire escape for second floor
All of these old buildings had originally been designed without fire escapes
Dorm or Day Room
Top corner room 3
Going back down
Front corner and porch
Front porch entrance
The original porches had large brick columns
8-2012 Clearing away the brush and prepping for cleaning out
Links to other sites for building 122